Wednesday, April 7, 2010

welcome to Tokyo

Usually I fly into Osaka, so I know where I am going, but I have not flown into Tokyo since the were Y300 for $AUD1 - and that was a few years ago.
So I fly into Tokyo on 6 April at 20.00 with Jetstar, the plane was full.
After a swift move through customs and immigration, (Japan is so organised), I exchange money at the Bank money exchange to the left of the exit. No commission is taken.
Now to travel to downtown Tokyo, there are several options listed on site, but I chose to use the Airport Limousine service as they drop near major hotels. The cost is Y 3000 to the Ikebukeru area, Hotel Metropolitan stop. Tell the Limousine people where you want to go and they will book you on to the correct bus. The next bus was going to be 9.55 so I called my hotel to let them know I would be arriving later (so they would keep my room - you need to do that if you have given an earlier time of arrival.
As I approached Tokyo at around 23.15, there were many offices lit up and would you believe it, people still working at their desks- male and people office workers slaving away. Maybe they were shift workers but I would guess that they are day shift people still at work and they will go home on the last train and be back there at 9 in the morning.
The trip takes about 1.5 hours and it was a smooth run to the city.
I alighted at Hotel Metropolitan and I was no where near my hotel, so I asked for directions along the way. At times like this when you are frustrated and feel a little lost, just ask and you will get directions.
The term The police in the police box (Koban) to the left of West Exit of Ikebukeru Startion were very helpful and directed me - Turn right at Kentucky and turn left at next corner and walk straight ahead until you see Toyoko Inn No 1 on the right hand side.
So off I went and within five minutes I was there - 23.45 to be exact.
Tired and survived the trip into Tokyo and ready for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment